Photograph of buildings on the south side of Johnson Drive between Nieman Road and Barton Drive circa 1915. The Shawnee State Bank building, at the corner of Johnson and Nieman, stands at the left side of the image and is partly covered in ivy. Immediately to its west stands a vacant lot, then four more stone one- and two-story buildings. Telephone poles line Johnson Drive, which was known as Main Street at the time of the photo.
Postcard of view along Pembroke Lane in Mission Hills, Kansas, circa 1920. Looking southeast along Pembroke Lane from the front yard of 5620 Pembroke Lane, the postcard depicts a small stone bridge allowing a driveway to cross over a drainage area, flower beds, and trees. The house located at 5625 Pembroke lane is visible on the left side of the image.
Photograph of a road under construction in the Countryside area, later Mission, Kansas, circa 1940. The road, likely Shawnee Mission Parkway, is surrounded by trees and bare soil, and has two metal trash cans standing next to paved areas. The road rises up an include to the left toward the background of the image. A label included with the photograph indicates the picture was taken near Shawnee Mission Parkway and Nall Avenue.
Photograph of the intersection of Manor Road and 81st Street in Leawood, Kansas, circa 1939, looking south on Meadow Lane from 81st Street. An automobile is parked on the side of the road with door open near a fire hydrant, and a house is visible in the center background of the image.
Photograph of Johnson Drive, looking west from Nieman Road, in downtown Shawnee circa the 1910s. Two men and a little girl stand outside the Shawnee State Bank building at the left o the photo, with other brick and stone commercial buildings extending down Johnson Drive. An automobile is parked on the street in the background, and utility poles line the street. Bunting and an American flag are mounted on the front of the bank building. The man in the foreground is identifed as Tom Davis, and the young girl, his daughter Helen. The third man is unidentified.
Photograph of a car parked along Lakeshore Drive West on the west side of Lake Quivira in 1931 or 1932. Work on the lake and the surrounding area was started by the Quivira Development Company in 1927. The first stages of the project were completed by the early 1930s.
Photograph of downtown Shawnee, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking west down Main Street (later Johnson Drive) from its intersection with 5th Street (later Nieman Road), streetcar rails run along the side of the unpaved roads. The Shawnee Garage service station stands on the southwest corner of the intersection, at the left edge of the photo. Buildings lining the south side of Main Street, west of 5th, include Shawnee State Bank, a drug store, and a theater. A sign reading noting U.S. Highway 50 stands in the intersection over and arrow pointing south.
Photograph of downtown Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking northeast from the intersection of Pflumm Road and Santa Fe Trail Drive, the brick Farmer's State Bank building stands at the left side of the image. Commercial buildings with signs advertising businesses and products including a garage, Miller Lite beer, and Coca-Cola, hang in front of one- and two-story brick and stone buildings to the northeast along Santa Fe. A sign denoting Santa Fe as U.S. Highway 50 also stands at the intersection.
Photograph of a row of houses, one a furnished exhibition house, situated along 69th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas, in September 1941. Cars are parked on the street and visitors to the exhibition house can be seen gathered near the front door and driveway. The exhibition house was built and furnished by J. C. Nichols Companies to showcase similar houses built in the surrounding neighborhood, and was featured in the February 1952 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Listed at the time as 2609 West 69th Street, the address later was changed to 4117 West 69th Street.
Photographs of businesses on a corner of Cherry and Park Streets in downtown Olathe, Kansas, in the 1940s. The brick and stone buildings house businesses including Pember's Men's Store, IGA Stores, Pember's Ladies Store, Kelly Morris Store, and Patron's Bank.
Photograph of the intersection of Johnson Drive and Nieman Road in Shawnee, Kansas, circa 1920, looking west down Johnson Drive from its intersection with Nieman. Two men stand on a sidewalk in front of Shawnee's first bank, on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Photograph of Park Street in downtown Olathe Kansas, looking east, circa 1930. The image shows two- and three-story stone and brick buildings, cars parked at curbs, and streetcar rails leading down Park Street. A sign on the building at the front right of the image reads "First National Bank."