Photograph of the Hoge Funeral Home building at 8024 Santa Fe Drive, in the 1930s. Originally built as a home for the Charles Pincomb family, the building became the site of Hoge Funeral Home in 1932. The business operated in this location until 1965 when the house was razed and a new funeral home building constructed to the south. The two story building is pictured with stucco siding and a Spanish tile roof, and the fender of a car is visible parked on Santa Fe Drive.
Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. A man are pictured working on top of the building and a car is parked on an adjacent road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.
Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. Two men are pictured working on top of the building while one carries a ladder at ground level. A wagon is pictured on the unpaved road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.
Photograph of DeSoto Rural High School in DeSoto, Kansas, circa 1919. The three-story brick building features many windows and is surrounded by grassy fields. The school building, opened in 1919, later became the City Hall building for the town.
Photograph of the Porter Dairy Farm near 91st and Antioch in Overland Park, Kansas, in the early 1900s. Barns, silos, and other farm buildings are visible in the middle of the image, surrounded by pastureland.
Photograph of two men standing next to two trucks in Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1920. The trucks are parked in front of a business advertising "millinery," "notions, "dry goods," and "Queensware" dishes in the front windows. A crate labeled "EGGS" is visible in the back of one truck, while the other contains cages of chickens. Two wood-frame houses are visible on the right side of the image.
Photograph of Holy Trinity Catholic School in Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1917. The one-story stone building sits above an elevated basement, and cross stands atop an arched roofline. Two newly-planted trees stand in front of the building. The building was razed in the 1960s, and the site remained home to a larger Holy Trinity church and school campus.
Exterior photograph of the Kittle Dry Goods store in downtown Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The two-story brick building has a painted sign advertising "dry goods, shoes, [and] furnishings" in the awning-shaded front window, above a display of dresses and home goods. Second-story windows feature signs that say "CARBAUGH" and "PHYSICIAN." The building, originally known as the Conser Building, is located on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster Streets and was built by Grant Conser in 1911.
Photograph of the Strang Line car barn and power plant in Overland Park, Kansas, circa the late 1940s. Officially named the Missouri and Kansas Interurban Railway, the Strang Line ceased operations in 1940, and the car barn is shown heavily covered in ivy, with tracks overgrown with weeds in the foreground.
Photograph of the Hotel Olathe at 100 West Santa Fe Street in Olathe, Kansas, in the 1940s. A Holland Vending truck and two cars are parked in front of the hotel, and awnings cover the hotel windows. The building was formerly the Pearl Mills flour mill, and renovated into a hotel in 1889. It was purchased by the Urban Renewal Agency in 1968, and demolished for redevelopment at the site.
Photographs of businesses on a corner of Cherry and Park Streets in downtown Olathe, Kansas, in the 1940s. The brick and stone buildings house businesses including Pember's Men's Store, IGA Stores, Pember's Ladies Store, Kelly Morris Store, and Patron's Bank.