Photograph of a Lockheed Orion 9E airplane, NC12283, and a Northrop Alpha 4A airplane, NC933Y, at Municipal Airport in winter. Both aircraft were owned by Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA). This photograph was taken between May 1932 - July 1935. This vantage point faces south-southeast with the Power and Light Building (left-center, far background) and Quality Hill (right-center, far background).
Photograph of one Fokker F.32 airplane (left) and three Ford Tri-Motor airplanes (right) displayed for a large crowd of several thousand at Municipal Airport, April 4, 1930. This F.32, NC334N, was one of two owned by Western Air Express, and shows "Fox Flying House Party, Western Air Express, New York to Hollywood" on the fuselage. Mary McElroy among others left on this 32-passenger airplane the next day. The Ford Tri-Motor airplanes were owned by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) that year.
Photograph of three Douglas DC-2 airplanes parked outside of the Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc. airplane hangar at the Municipal Airport. This vantage point faces southeast towards the Hannibal Bridge and downtown Kansas City in the background.
Municipal Airport at night with a crowd gathered outside the main terminal building and a Ford Tri-Motor airplane on the runway. The aircraft was operated by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) in 1930. Municipal Airport (known currently as Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport) is located on the opposite side of the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers.