1940 Special Tax Stamp receipt for Paradise Inn in order to act as a retail liquor dealer. Paradise Inn was once located near the intersection of Highway 40 and Skiles Avenue near the eastern limits of Kansas City, Missouri. Source: Ida Minturn.
Letter from Democrat Albert R. Norton to Senator Harry S. Truman. Norton reintroduces himself as a former Pendergast ("goat") precinct captain in the 14th Ward in Kansas City, Missouri. He states that he could no longer be proud of such affiliation and became a United Democratic Club precinct captain. Norton then inquires about the possibility of a job in city administration as he had just recently been fired from a Republican office because of his political affiliation.
Letter from Philip A. Lantz to Governor Lloyd C. Stark, lauding him for his work against corruption in Missouri, including his work for James Douglas' election to the Missouri Supreme Court. Lantz says the Pendergast machine is an "Ala Baba band of boodlers [who] want to get their filthy paws on the whole state for the glory of Ready Mixed and the plethora of loot."
Photograph of improvements made to Blue River south to the limits of Swope Park, Kansas City, for purposes of flood control, ca. 1930s. This vantage point faces southwest from just south of 15th Street (now Truman Road). This photograph was taken before the river was diverted to west of Manchester Avenue (now Manchester Trafficway). The Spear Brand Mills Inc. at the now defunct intersection of 17th Street and Potter Avenue can be seen in the right background behind the trees.
Letter from Mrs. W. A. Judd, a Kansas City election judge, to Governor Lloyd C. Stark, describing her concern about corruption and criminality in the upcoming election and requesting additional protection at the polls. She believes "Kansas City has no protection for any one but the criminal element."
Photograph of the interior and exterior of the Kansas City Tuberculosis Hospital No. 2, built in 1928 as an annex to the Tuberculosis Hospital built in 1914. Captioned: "Kansas City Tuberculosis Hospital No. 2 is situated in the country, outside of the city limits, on high spot to the west of U. S. highway No. 40. It is a new building, constructed in accordance with the latest ideas on the treatment of tuberculosis, and has the most modern equipment. It is a free hospital, giving treatment until patient is discharged with disease arrested.