Photograph of a grassy open field with telephone lines, parked cars, and trees in the background, circa 1937. A caption included with the original photo reads "Fairway, Kansas--before streets were graded and trees were planted.
J. C. Nichols Company
Photograph of a row of houses, one a furnished exhibition house, situated along 69th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas, in September 1941. Cars are parked on the street and visitors to the exhibition house can be seen gathered near the front door and driveway. The exhibition house was built and furnished by J. C.
Postcard showing the northern entrance to Pembroke Lane in Mission Hills, Kansas. This vantage point faces south at the intersection of Pembroke Lane and 56th Street. The back of the postcard includes a short advertisement for the Country Club District from J.C. Nichols Investment Company to Kansas City resident George Fiske.
Postcard showing Brush Creek in Mission Hills, Kansas. The back of the postcard includes a short advertisement for the Country Club District from J.C. Nichols Investment Company to Kansas City resident George Fiske.
Legal document that details the housing and property restrictions imposed upon sections of Blocks 27 through 30 in Mission Hills, Kansas. Some benign restrictions stipulate acceptable architectural features and minimum residence cost and ground frontage.
Legal document that details the housing and property restrictions imposed upon certain lots in Blocks 5, 7, and 8 in the Oak-Meyer Gardens subdivision in Kansas City, Missouri. Some benign restrictions stipulate acceptable architectural features and minimum residence cost and ground frontage.
Letter from J. C. Nichols to one of his investors and friend, Jeanette Lee. Nichols discusses his efforts at curbing unions in Kansas City in an effort to further his developments. Nichols also discusses Kansas City's lack of significant growth at the end of the 1930s.
This picture of the Plaza Dog Mart was taken looking west-northwest from atop the J. C. Nichols Company Building. Country Club Plaza merchants sponsored a dog mart where people interested in buying a dog could see and inspect many breeds of dog. This dog mart was located at the future site of the Plaza Medical Building.
Motorized snowplows are called into action to clear the sidewalks of J. C. Nichols Companies homes in the Oak Meyer Gardens subdivision. This vantage point faces west on 65th Street just west of Cherry Street. Southwest High School at Wornall Road and 65th Street can be seen in the far background.
In 1925, the J. C. Nichols Company maintained a small sales office in the Stratford Gardens area located at the southeast corner of 61st Street and State Line Road.
The first snowstorm of winter 1925 came earlier than expected, and the J. C. Nichols Company snow plows were out immediately, working in three relays throughout the night.
J. C. Nichols inspires his sales force at one of his company's morning meetings.