Postcard of the Court House (foreground) and City Hall (background) in Kansas City, Missouri at night. This vantage point faces north-northwest just east of the intersection of Locust and 13th Street. The back of the postcard includes a short letter from Frank Gilbert to Peggy Moore of Fremont, Nebraska.
On January 22, 1882, future architect William Drewin Wight was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In 1911, he joined his older brother, Thomas, in Kansas City, where they created the architectural firm of Wight & Wight. The firm went on to profoundly influence Kansas City's architectural landscape with prominent designs that included the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, the Jackson County Courthouse, the Kansas City Life Insurance Company Building, and City Hall.
Letter from Kansas City City Manager H. F. McElroy to Bruno Nicoli, Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 80. McElroy expresses his gratitude for the scouts' assistance in the promotion of pedestrian safety and donates ten dollars to the troop.
Jackson County, Missouri courthouse building as it looked in Kansas City about 1936. Harry S. Truman, as Presiding Judge of Jackson County, was instrumental in the building of the courthouse. This photograph was likely taken atop the Jackson County Detention Home at the southeast corner of 13th Street and Locust Street, looking north-northwest towards the courthouse and the Kansas City City Hall in the background.
Kansas City, Missouri’s City Hall is located between 11th and 12th Streets and Oak and Locust in the downtown area. This building is the third city hall that Kansas City has had since the incorporation of the City of Kansas in 1853. The first City Hall was built in 1857 between Fourth and Fifth Streets and Main and Walnut on what had been the city’s “public square.”