Fairway, KS

Displaying 1 - 7 of 7
Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the Shawnee Indian Mission cemetery circa 1935. The cemetery, surrounded by a stone wall, includes more than a dozen small head stones, several taller monuments, and flowers are planted at several grave sites. Reverend Thomas Johnson and his family are buried in the mission cemetery. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible, and brick walls partially deconstructed. A worker can be seen inside the foreground wall. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of a man working on renovations at the north building, at the northeast corner of 53rd Street and Reinhardt Drive, at the Shawnee Indian Mission in 1940. The man, dressed in overalls and a hat, scrapes at a wood door with a putty knife, and is surrounded by lath walls. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of Shawnee Indian Mission buildings, looking north toward 53rd Street, circa 1920. The two-story, L-shaped brick building in foreground is the caretakers house, and the two-story brick North Building stands in the background, across 53rd Street. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the west building on the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1940. The two-story brick building is covered in ivy prior to restoration. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968. 

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY
Civil War on the Western Border: The Missouri-Kansas Conflict,1855-1865.
The Pendergast Years, Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression.
KC History, Missouri Valley Special Collections at the Kansas City Public Library.