By the 1930s, Satchel Paige had acquired a reputation as one of the finest pitchers in the game, white or black. He earned more money than any other black player and even more than many white major league players. Seemingly everywhere he played he attracted record crowds that sparked wider interest in black baseball players and helped the Negro Leagues ball clubs attain financial stability.
On October 6, 1922, the Kansas City Monarchs and the Kansas City Blues baseball teams embarked on a six-game series that would end with the Monarchs being crowned "The New City Champions" by the Kansas City Star .
Parker was born in Kansas City, Kansas, on August 29, 1920. He grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, where he played in jazz clubs as a teenager and young man. The local jazz culture based in the Vine Street nightclub district cultivated his talents as a teenager. Indeed, it was during this period that Kansas City made notable contributions to jazz with hometown artists such as Count Basie, Bennie Moten, and Buster Smith.
Nelle Nichols Peters is known as a pathbreaking female architect, designer of nearly 1,000 local buildings, and one of the most prolific architects in Kansas City during the 1920s. Despite the fact that many of these buildings still occupy prominent locations, especially near the Country Club Plaza, Nelle Peters remains a relatively obscure figure in Kansas City history.
Virgil Thomson, composer and music critic, was born on November 25, 1896, in Kansas City, Missouri. Although he would go on to live much of his life in New York and Paris, and brush elbows with world-renowned musicians and intellectuals, Thomson always claimed he drew on the musical inspirations from his childhood in Kansas City.
An autochrome photograph of Mrs. Ella B. Adams sitting under an English cherry tree on her and her husband's property. Mr. Washington Adams was an attorney at law, Kansas City, city attorney and county counselor for Kansas City and Jackson County.
An autochrome photograph of George S. Allee's house taken from the east-southeast in the Fall of 1933. George Allee was district manager of the Missouri Automobile Club.
An autochrome photograph of Harry C. Alley's house taken from the south-southwest in 1933. Alley was president of Rankin-Benedict Underwriting Company.
An autochrome photograph of Henry A. Auerbach's house taken from the northeast in the spring of 1934. Auerbach was co-founder of the Palace Clothing Company.
An autochrome photograph of Henry A. Auerbach's house taken from the northeast after the 1934 Drought. Auerbach was co-founder of the Palace Clothing Company.
An autochrome photograph of Mrs. Loucille Wade Baier's house with sumac on display in foreground.
An autochrome photograph of Andrew S. Barada's garden, taken from the south in the spring of 1933. Barada was president of Barada and Page (Chemicals).
An autochrome photograph of Walter G. Basinger's house from the East, A. I. A. Medal Award of 1931. Basinger was director of the J. C. Nichols Company.
An autochrome photograph of H. H. Beels standing next to a large polygonum vine. Beels was treasurer of Gallup Map & Supply Company.
An autochrome photograph of a woman and child on the property of Lionel Benjamin, a buyer for Fred Harvey.
An autochrome photograph of Frank M. Bernardin's residence, taken from the southeast in the summer of 1932. Bernardin was district manager of the General Electric Supply Corporation.
An autochrome photograph of Annie Ridenbaugh Bird's residence called "Elmhurst", taken from the southeast in the summer of 1933. Once Annie's husband, Joseph T. Bird, passed away in 1918, she took over as president of Emery, Bird, Thayer Company in 1920.
An autochrome photograph of the motor entrance and blooming spireas of "Elmhurst", the residence of Annie Ridenbaugh Bird. Once Annie's husband, Joseph T. Bird, passed away in 1918, she took over as president of Emery, Bird, Thayer Company in 1920.
An autochrome photograph of Maude Blackburn standing in her garden. Her husband, Schuyler C. Blackburn was president of ABC Fireproof Warehouse Company. The historical street address is 2321 Fieldston Road, also known at that time as 2321 West 54th Street (U.S. Highway 50), placing it near 54th Street and Mission Road in the Fieldston neighborhood in modern day Fairway, Kansas.
An autochrome photograph of the bridge on 63rd Street at the intersection of Indian Lane. This photograph was taken looking west from east of the bridge.