The Kansas City Welcoming Committee to Secretary Patrick J. Hurley and party under the auspices of Missouri River Navigation Association. Mr. Nichols can be seen in the back row, fourth from the left.
Letter from Bert Lyon describing his friendship with and support for Tom Pendergast, as well as endorsing James Billings for Missouri Supreme Court. He claims that "perhaps in all American history there never was a national figure who was more misunderstood than Mr. Pendergast," and that Governor Stark "has proved himself an ingrate."
Letter from William Kitchen to Lloyd C. Stark about Stark's campaign for Missouri governor, his military record, and veterans issues.
Armour-Swift-Burlington Bridge, with the Mark Twain and the General Ashburn, stern wheelers, carrying Patrick J. Hurley, Secretary of War, and his party on a trip to demonstrate the navigability of the Missouri River. This vantage point faces east towards the bridge and the south bank of the Missouri River.
Aerial view of Kansas City's Municipal Airport with the Missouri River and downtown Kansas City, Missouri in the background.
Photograph of the Old Detention Home on Oak Street, south of Fifth Street, ca. 1930s. This vantage point faces west-southwest on Oak Street.
Old municipal market and city hall in the process of being torn down for a new municipal market. This vantage point faces northwest from the intersection of 5th Street and Walnut Street.
Architect's model of the New Municipal Market which was planned to be completed in 1938 on the grounds of the demolished City Hall and Market.
Blank letterhead for T.J. Pendergast Wholesale Liquor Co. at 525-527 Delaware Street, Kansas City, Missouri.
Blank order form for the T.J. Pendergast Wholesale Liquor Co. at 525-527 Delaware Street, Kansas City, Missouri.
People waving U.S. flags on top of double-decker bus headed north on Main Street as part of a "baseball parade." The sign on the bus reads: Baseball Game Today, Muehlebach Field, Mercy Hospital - K.C. Orphans Boys' Home. This vantage point faces west-southwest towards the Hotel Stag at 414 Main Street. Source: Bernard Ragan.
Photograph of city council meeting in the "old chambers" of City Hall at the northeast corner of 5th Street and Main Street. This photograph by Anderson Photo Studio, Kansas City, was taken prior to the completion of the new City Hall at 414 East 12th Street in 1937. Source: Bernard Ragan.
Handbill advertising Harrison Blackburn and His Happy Entertainers, appearing with the Lawrence Denton Orchestra, at Little Casino "just a half block west of Main on Second Street."
1940's photograph of Main Street looking north towards 5th Street from just south of the intersection of Main and Missouri Avenue.
Booklet describing the history, purpose, and operation of The Helping Hand Institute of Kansas City, Missouri. The document details the necessity for prosperous citizens to donate to the organization so that they may help the homeless find employment. Also included are pictures of the organization's facilities and beneficiaries.
Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the first ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is bounded by the Missouri River to the north, Kansas to the west, 14th Street to the south, and Grand Avenue (now Grand Boulevard) to the east.
Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the fifth ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is bounded by the Missouri River to the north, Grand Avenue (now Grand Boulevard) to the west, 9th Street to the south, and Lydia Avenue to the east.
Clipping from the Kansas City Star on March 18, 1932 showing James P. Aylward, Casimir J. Welch, James M. Pendergast, William E. Sullivan (left to right, top) as well as Michael Ross (bottom). They are shown attending the Jackson County Convention at the Jackson County Courthouse once located between 5th Street and Missouri Avenue and Oak and Locust streets.
Issue of The North Side Advocate containing many reproductions of letters from various Kansas City business leaders subscribing five dollar per month for the revitalization of the Northside (current City Market and Columbus Park areas). In the form letter sent to these business leaders, M. R. Platt, President of the Northside Boosters, claims that if they do not invest in the Northside, the Kansas City business center will continue to move further south and current high-valued real estate will depreciate. Advertisements for Northside businesses are included on the final page.
Photograph of one Fokker F.32 airplane (left) and three Ford Tri-Motor airplanes (right) displayed for a large crowd of several thousand at Municipal Airport, April 4, 1930. This F.32, NC334N, was one of two owned by Western Air Express, and shows "Fox Flying House Party, Western Air Express, New York to Hollywood" on the fuselage. Mary McElroy among others left on this 32-passenger airplane the next day. The Ford Tri-Motor airplanes were owned by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) that year.