1930's photograph of the Fairfax Airport in Kansas City, Kansas. The airport was active between the years 1921 and 1985.
Issue of the anti-corruption, Kansas City-based newspaper, Future: The Newsweekly for Today. The front page includes an article, continued on page 8, with a photo and brief history of the Kansas City Municipal Airport (later called the Downtown Airport) "between North Kansas City and Kansas City proper," dedicated in 1927 and opened in 1929 with four airlines and reorganization after "cancellation of government mail contracts" in 1934. Other featured articles include: “Snapshots of the Week” (p.
Circa 1930's photograph of six men in white coveralls kneeling in front of a Curtiss-Wright Flying Service single-engine aircraft at the Fairfax Airport in Kansas City, Kansas.
Circa 1930 photograph with an aerial view of Fairfax Industrial Airport in Kansas City, Kansas. It is noted on the back of the photograph that Curtiss Wright is at the northern end of the field. This vantage point faces northeast an shows the intersection of Funston Road and Fairfax Road (presently Fairfax Trafficway) in the center.
Photograph of a Rearwin Ken-Royce 2000-C biplane, reg. #NC12579, constructed by Rearwin Airplanes Inc., Fairfax, Kansas City, Kansas.
Circa 1920 photograph with aerial view of New Richards Field which soon became known as Municipal Airport. Hannibal Bridge is pictured in the background.
Photograph of men standing around a Nicolas-Beazley NB-3P monoplane at Municipal Airport. The airplane, reg. #9314, was produced by the Nicholas-Beazley Airplane Company of Marshall, Missouri.
Photograph of one Fokker F.32 airplane (left) and three Ford Tri-Motor airplanes (right) displayed for a large crowd of several thousand at Municipal Airport, April 4, 1930. This F.32, NC334N, was one of two owned by Western Air Express, and shows "Fox Flying House Party, Western Air Express, New York to Hollywood" on the fuselage. Mary McElroy among others left on this 32-passenger airplane the next day. The Ford Tri-Motor airplanes were owned by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) that year.
Photograph of three Douglas DC-2 airplanes parked outside of the Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc. airplane hangar at the Municipal Airport. This vantage point faces southeast towards the Hannibal Bridge and downtown Kansas City in the background.
Photograph with view of the terminal building at Municipal Airport, looking toward the southeast with the Kansas City skyline in the background. There are TWA airplanes on the ground and the Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc. (TWA) airport hanger building is in view.
Municipal Airport at night with a crowd gathered outside the main terminal building and a Ford Tri-Motor airplane on the runway. The aircraft was operated by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) in 1930. Municipal Airport (known currently as Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport) is located on the opposite side of the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers.
Postcard looking west towards the Kansas City Municipal Airport passenger station at night.
Photograph of Transcontinental & Western Air employees loading air mail into a Ford 5-AT-B Tri-Motor airplane, NC9606, at Municipal Airport.
Photograph of the NC8088 Inland W-500 Super Sport, modified from a S-300 Sport model. It is shown parked at Municipal Airport. Inland Aviation Company was an aircraft manufacturer based in Fairfax, Kansas City, Kansas from the late 1920s until 1932.
Photograph of the 267N Inland R-400 Sportster, R-401 parked at Municipal Airport. Inland Aviation Company was an aircraft manufacturer based in Fairfax, Kansas City, Kansas from the late 1920s until 1932.
Postcard of the passenger station at the Municipal Airport.
Photograph of a Douglas C-54 R5D-1 Skymaster airplane operated by the U.S. Navy. The plane is shown landing at the Municipal Airport in Kansas City, Missouri.