Letter from A. A. Davies to Governor Lloyd Stark, sending an enclosure that addresses the city and county property assessments. The enclosure describes an increase in assessments, and that "taxing authorities ... hide behind closed doors to enact a tax increase when market values of Real Estate are below depression levels." Voters are urged to "curb the asperations [sic] of the BOSS to rule the State of Missouri in like manner" and vote for Judge Douglas for Missouri Supreme Court.
Letter from Mrs. W. A. Judd, a Kansas City election judge, to Governor Lloyd C. Stark, describing her concern about corruption and criminality in the upcoming election and requesting additional protection at the polls. She believes "Kansas City has no protection for any one but the criminal element."
Letter from Mr. and Mrs. Fowler of Kansas City, urging Governor Guy Park to rid the city of the corrupt Democratic political machine.
Letter from Lewis Goodson to Ralph Lozier hoping for Lozier's and Tom Pendergast's assistance in keeping his job.
Texas Tommies in posed shot on stage at Submarine Ballroom, May 15, 1936. Phil Baxter shown standing third from right. The Submarine Ballroom was located in the Bright Building at the southeast corner of 31st Street and Prospect Avenue. Source: Cliff Haliburton.
Dance event advertisement for Davy Jones' Musical Pirates under the direction of Phil Baxter at the Submarine Ballroom. The Submarine Ballroom was located in the Bright Building at the southeast corner of 31st Street and Prospect Avenue. Source: Cliff Haliburton.
Dance event advertisement for Davy Jones the 2nd and his 9 Musical Pirates under the direction of Phil Baxter at the Submarine Ballroom. The Submarine Ballroom was located in the Bright Building at the southeast corner of 31st Street and Prospect Avenue. Source: Cliff Haliburton.
Photograph of the Annunciation Boys Choir on an Easter Sunday in the early 1940's.
Photograph of the Annunciation CYC softball team in June, 1941. Annunciation parish was located at 2870 Linwood Boulevard.
Letter from Monsignor M. D. Tierney of Annunciation Parish regarding the parole of Otto P. Higgins, Inmate #55996-L. Monisgnor Tierney believes Higgins resolves to lead a better life, and writes that as his pastor, "it is natural that I should plead for one of my flock and most especially for one who has strayed from the fold." Higgins, the former director of the Kansas City Police Department, was sentenced to two years in the United States Penitentiary at Leavenworth on charges of income tax evasion.
Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the fourteenth ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is largely bounded by 23rd Street to the north, Indiana Avenue to the east, 35th Street to the south, and sections east of Blue River bounded by the eastern city limits to the east.
Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the thirteenth ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is bounded by 35th Street to the north, Campbell and Troost Avenue to the west, south city limits to the south, and eastern city limits to the east.
Photograph of the R. J. Delano School at the northwest corner of Linwood Boulevard and Cleveland Avenue. The small white sign in front reads: "PWA, Federal Emergency, Administration Public Works, R. J. Delano School, (last line unreadable)." School was designed for children with disabilities.
Photograph of children undergoing ultraviolet and hot water treatments at the R. J. DeLano School.
Photograph with an exterior street level view of Sanford B. Ladd School located on the north side of 37th Street, between Bellefontaine Avenue to Walrond Avenue (Benton Boulevard). It was named after the attorney for the school board for more than 40 years. This vantage point faces northwest from the southeast corner of Benton and 37th. This photograph was taken prior to 1922 when the school's additions were constructed.
Photograph of the Sanford B. Ladd School students attending to the school garden. This vantage point faces northwest from atop the southwest corner of the original Ladd School building (before the 1922 addition). The houses at 3624, 3626, and 3630 Bellefontaine Avenue are pictured to the left.