Photograph of "Hell’s Half Acre", an area in the late 1800's and early 1900's consisting of the north side of the West Bottoms between the bluffs and the state line. This vantage point faces northwest from the bluffs near 7th Street and shows 8th Street between Mill Street (now Madison Avenue) and Sante Fe Street. Also pictured is the Union Elevator Company (center), Missouri River (right), and Kansas City, Kansas (right, far background).
Portrait photograph of the 1899 Kansas City, Missouri councilmen's baseball team. Pictured on top from left to right: Lewis B. Sawyer, 7th Ward, center field; Jesse L. Jewell, 3rd Ward, second base; O. Hansford Swearingen, 5th Ward, catcher; Claus Swanson, 4th Ward, right field; and John Moran, 2nd Ward, third base. Pictured on bottom from left to right: F. N. Johnson, 14th Ward, pitcher; John P. Lynch, 6th Ward, left field; James Pendergast, 1st Ward, short stop and Captain; A. D. Burrows, 10th Ward, substitute; and F. L. Middleton, 13th Ward, first base.
Photographic print of a drawing of the Armour Packing Company, once located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Central Avenue and James Street in Kansas City, Kansas. This vantage point faces north and shows James Street (foreground) and Central Avenue (left). The statistics given with the print indicate the plant has a "daily killing capacity" of 12,000 hogs, 4,000 cattle, and 5,000 sheep. It also provides total shipments for the "last fiscal year": 632,575,000 lbs. of meat, 40,000,000 lbs of canned meat, and 75,000,000 lbs of lard.
Photograph with exterior view of Westport High School at 39th and McGee (Hyde Park Ave) and Oak Streets. This vantage point faces south-southwest from the hill overlooking Gillham Road just north of its intersection with 39th Street.
Photograph of Electric Park at night, once located at 46th Street and The Paseo. This vantage point faces southeast across Mirror Lake (also known as Pleasure Lake) and shows the two Electric Park Illumination Towers.
Photograph of James Alexander Reed (1861-1944), 3/4 length portrait, seated, facing left.
An early J. C. Nichols Company sign located on Brookside Boulevard by Countryside Park. In the background is the "Rock House" located at 5230 Brookside Boulevard. This vantage point faces west on Brookside Boulevard between 52nd Street and 53rd Street. The sign reads: "1000 Acres Restricted, Country Club District, Highly Developed and Protected Residence Property, water, light, gas, etc., attractive prices, J. C. Nichols, High Class Residence Property, 1213-14 Commerce Bldg.".
Studio portrait of George E. Kessler. Kessler was instrumental in developing Kansas City's unique park and boulevard system.
Photograph with slide description: "Wading pool, The Grove, 1914." This vantage point faces east from just north of Benton Plaza between Kansas Avenue and Agnes Avenue.
Photograph of the Morris & Company (left) and the Swift & Company (right background) packing plants in Armourdale, Kansas City, Kansas. This vantage point faces south from the Kansas side of the Central Avenue bridge over the Kansas River. Morris & Company was once located where Interstate 670 runs just west of the Kansas River.
Photograph looking northeast from atop the Baltimore Hotel. The intersection of Petticoat Lane and Main Street is pictured center.
Photograph of the Sanford B. Ladd School students attending to the school garden. This vantage point faces northwest from atop the southwest corner of the original Ladd School building (before the 1922 addition). The houses at 3624, 3626, and 3630 Bellefontaine Avenue are pictured to the left.
Three homes on 61st street at the end of the completed Belleview Avenue. This vantage point faces south on Belleview Avenue from just south of Huntington Road.
Photograph a distant exterior view of the Milton Moore School located on the south side of 31st Street between Cypress Avenue and Elmwood Avenue. It was named for Col. Milton Moore, a member of the Board of Education. This vantage point faces north-northeast from the northeast corner of Linwood Boulevard and Cypress Avenue.
Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Miss Sue Wornall, the great-great-granddaughter of mission founder Thomas Johnson, poses in front of the monument itself, with Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix at the left of the image and Judge Nelson Case at the right. The text of the marker reads "This monument marks the site of the mission house erected for the benefit of the Shawnee Indians by Reverend Thomas Johnson, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1830.
Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Julia Stinson, a Shawnee descendent born in 1934 a half-mile east of the site, is being blessed by Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix on the right and Bishop William O. Shepard on the left. Mrs. Stinson helped to confirm the mission site, and delivered a speech at the dedication. Thomas Johnson later relocated the mission to Johnson County.
Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Thomas Johnson later relocated the mission to Johnson County. Unidentified men and women are pictured near a tent and American flag.
A panoramic photograph showing a fire at the stockyards in Kansas City, Missouri. Many cattle were killed.
Photograph of the Perry Orphans' Home and grounds, located at Westport Road and Belleview. This vantage point faces north-northwest from the intersection of 43rd Street (Westport Road) and Jarboe Street.
Photograph with full frontal and side view of Rollins School, located on the northeast corner of 40th and Main streets. It later became the first St. Paul's Episcopal Day School.