Negative of the Kansas City area’s first airmail with Ford Harvey, George Conner and L. H. Garrison, October 31, 1921. The temporary service lasted four days. This photograph was taken by R. S. Knowlson at the American Legion field. American Legion field was located at 67th St. and Belinder Road (now Avenue) in Mission Hills, Kansas. Source: Lou Holland Aviation Collection, courtesy of the Kansas City Museum.
Pla Mor interior, set for a banquet, taken by Cresswell's Photo Studio, Kansas City, MO, no date. The Pla-Mor Ballroom was located at 3142 Main Street in Kansas City, Missouri. Source: Art McClure/Jennie Belle Peters.
Soup line during the Depression; Casimir J. Welch with woman in lower inset photo, no date. For over thirty years, Casimir Welch controlled “Little Tammany,” 36 precincts east of downtown, for Thomas J. Pendergast. Source: Bernard Ragan.
Dance event advertisement for Davy Jones' Musical Pirates under the direction of Phil Baxter at the Submarine Ballroom. The Submarine Ballroom was located in the Bright Building at the southeast corner of 31st Street and Prospect Avenue. Source: Cliff Haliburton.
Composite of staff (heads only) of Lincoln Theatre, with building in background, 1926. The Lincoln Theatre was once located at the northwest corner of 18th Street and Lydia Avenue in Kansas City, Missouri. Source: Lawrence Denton.
Membership card for WDAF/The Kansas City Star’s Nighthawks. The card reads: "WDAF, The Kansas City Star's Nighthawks, "The Enemies of Sleep". This is to certify that Steve is a member of the Kansas City Star's Nighthawks and has been granted an official charter from WDAF." Source: John Coon.
A panorama of the Kansas City Speedway, a wooden racetrack in operation from 1922-1924 near the present-day Bannister Federal Complex at Bannister Road and Troost Avenue. The entrance to the speedway was located at 91st Street and Holmes Road. The speedway cost $500,000 in 1922 and could host 60,000 people. After two years, it had to be closed as holes in the wooden racetrack became too large to safely race on.
Jay McShann's Band playing at Martin's-on-the-Plaza, also known as Martin's Cafeteria and Plaza Tavern. Those pictured include: Gene Ramey, bass; Bob Mabane, tenor; Gus Johnson, drums; Edward Hale, alto; Bill Smith, trumpet; Jay McShann, piano. Source: Gene Ramey.