Johnson County Museum

Displaying 37 - 48 of 209

Shawnee State Bank, Johnson Drive

Photograph of buildings on the south side of Johnson Drive between Nieman Road and Barton Drive circa 1915. The Shawnee State Bank building, at the corner of Johnson and Nieman, stands at the left side of the image and is partly covered in ivy. Immediately to its west stands a vacant lot, then four more stone one- and two-story buildings. Telephone poles line Johnson Drive, which was known as Main Street at the time of the photo.

Shawnee State Bank on Johnson Drive

Photograph of Johnson Drive, looking west from Nieman Road, in downtown Shawnee circa the 1910s. Two men and a little girl stand outside the Shawnee State Bank building at the left o the photo, with other brick and stone commercial buildings extending down Johnson Drive. An automobile is parked on the street in the background, and utility poles line the street. Bunting and an American flag are mounted on the front of the bank building. The man in the foreground is identifed as Tom Davis, and the young girl, his daughter Helen. The third man is unidentified. 

Shawnee Mission Rural High School Snowball Fight

Photograph of male students at Shawnee Mission Rural High School having a snowball fight in 1940 or 1941. The students stand in the middle of a snowy field with houses visible in the background, and some are pictured mid-throw. The photograph is part of the 1940-1941 Future Farmers of America "Recreation" scrapbook. A note included with the photograph reads "Annual all school snow ball fight. F.F.A.

Shawnee Mission Rural High School

Photograph of Shawnee Mission Rural High School, looking southwest from Johnson Drive, in the early 1920s. The two-story brick building with arched entryway opened in 1922, was renamed Shawnee Mission High School in 1945, and became Shawnee Mission North High School in 1958. 

Shawnee Mission Future Farmers of America Members

Photograph of members of the Shawnee Mission Rural High School chapter of the Future Farmers of America in 1940 or 1941. The young men, dressed in FFA jackets with the organization's emblem on the chest, stand arm in arm outside the high school building. The five young men are identified from left to right as: unknown, Phil Erickson, Rob Roy, George Liddle, unknown. The photograph is part of the 1940-1941 Future Farmers of America "Conduct of Meetings" scrapbook.

Shawnee Indian Mission Sign

Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855.

Shawnee Indian Mission Renovation - North Building

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible, and brick walls partially deconstructed. A worker can be seen inside the foreground wall. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Shawnee Indian Mission Renovation - North Building

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Shawnee Indian Mission Cemetery

Photograph of the Shawnee Indian Mission cemetery circa 1935. The cemetery, surrounded by a stone wall, includes more than a dozen small head stones, several taller monuments, and flowers are planted at several grave sites. Reverend Thomas Johnson and his family are buried in the mission cemetery. 

Shawnee Indian Mission - West Building

Photograph of the west building on the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1940. The two-story brick building is covered in ivy prior to restoration. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968. 

Shawnee Indian Mission

Photograph of Shawnee Indian Mission buildings, looking north toward 53rd Street, circa 1920. The two-story, L-shaped brick building in foreground is the caretakers house, and the two-story brick North Building stands in the background, across 53rd Street. 

Sadie Hawkins Day with FFA Boys

Photograph of a young man running a gauntlet of classmates trying to whip him with belts on the Shawnee Mission Rural High School football field in 1940 or 1941. The young men are members of the school's chapter of Future Farmers of America. The photograph is part of the 1940-1941 Future Farmers of America "Recreation" scrapbook. A note included with the photo reads: "SADIE HAWKINS DAY: At irregular intervals a secret date is agreed upon by the school vice-president and the chapter advisor.