Photograph of a child and a goat inside a wood box on the Schutzel Farm in the mid-1930s. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960. The young boy, Emil Schutzel III, was born in 1929.
Photograph of two women, dressed in trousers and headscarves, bottle feeding a piglet at the Schutzel Farm circa 1937. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.
Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. A man are pictured working on top of the building and a car is parked on an adjacent road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.
Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. Two men are pictured working on top of the building while one carries a ladder at ground level. A wagon is pictured on the unpaved road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.
Photograph of a row of houses, one a furnished exhibition house, situated along 69th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas, in September 1941. Cars are parked on the street and visitors to the exhibition house can be seen gathered near the front door and driveway. The exhibition house was built and furnished by J. C. Nichols Companies to showcase similar houses built in the surrounding neighborhood, and was featured in the February 1952 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Listed at the time as 2609 West 69th Street, the address later was changed to 4117 West 69th Street.
Photograph of DeSoto Rural High School in DeSoto, Kansas, circa 1919. The three-story brick building features many windows and is surrounded by grassy fields. The school building, opened in 1919, later became the City Hall building for the town.
Aerial view of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis G. Wilson at 67th and Glenwood Streets in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The Wilson residence, at the center of the image, and a neighboring Tudor-style house to the west face 67th Street, which runs across the lower right of the image. Glenwood Street runs north and south through the lower left of the image. Several other houses, barns, and outbuildings surround the Wilson residence, along with large yards and farmland.
Photograph of Nathaniel Short, merchant from Aubry, Kansas, circa 1915. Short is pictured wearing dark, rolled-cuff pants, a shirt, and vest, and holding a hat in his hand while standing outside a wood-sided house.
Photograph of six men standing outside Campbell's General Store in Merriam, Kansas, circa 1915. Two men wear overalls, two wear aprons, and one appears to be wearing a transit employee uniform. Signs in the store window advertise Rocky Ford cigars and "Ice Cold Drinks." The store was run by J. M. Campbell, whose family settled in the Merriam area in 1862.
Photograph of Merriam Christian Church minister Reverend Charles Stanton standing in front of the Sharrum residence, circa 1918. The young man, dressed in a dark suit, stands near a house featuring wood siding, a stone porch, and a porch swing.
Photograph of the Porter Dairy Farm near 91st and Antioch in Overland Park, Kansas, in the early 1900s. Barns, silos, and other farm buildings are visible in the middle of the image, surrounded by pastureland.