Photograph of buildings on the south side of Johnson Drive between Nieman Road and Barton Drive circa 1915. The Shawnee State Bank building, at the corner of Johnson and Nieman, stands at the left side of the image and is partly covered in ivy. Immediately to its west stands a vacant lot, then four more stone one- and two-story buildings. Telephone poles line Johnson Drive, which was known as Main Street at the time of the photo.
Photograph of the Roesland School student orchestra on the school stage circa 1935. Approximately 30 students sit in folding chairs arranged in a semi-circle, holding their instruments. Their teacher, and several other students, stand at rear. The stage features an ornately painted backdrop, and a piano stands on the ground in front of the stage.
Portrait of Corinthian Clay Nutter circa 1940. Born in Texas, Nutter moved to Kansas City at age 16 and worked as a pianist and organist. After receiving degrees from Western University in Quinaro and Emporia State University, she worked as a teacher at Walker Elementary School in Merriam, Kansas and testified before the Kansas Supreme Court in Webb v. School District No. 90 in 1949, a case which resulted in the integration of a new school building.
Photograph of Hugh and Mary White's four children at the Wolverine Dairy Farm in Overland Park circa 1941. Standing on the ground in front of a bar, the children are, from left to right, Bob, Joe, and Louise; Gene sits on a horse behind them. Joe holds a rabbit and Louise holds a dog. A silo is visible beyond the barn. The farm was located near 85th Street and Metcalf Avenue.
Photograph of Dorothy J. Hamler posing next to a desk in the Johnson County Courthouse circa 1937. Hamler wers a dark dress with light details, and the desk contains a typewriter, papers, and other materials. Hamler worked as a stenographer.
Photograph of the Johnson County Courthouse in Olathe circa 1939. Taken from the street, looking northwest, the lawn surrounding the building is covered in snow. The two-story brick courthouse with central belltower was designed by architect George Washburn in 1891, and was demolished in 1952.
Photograph of a crowd gathered around seized gambling equipment at the Johnson County Courthouse square circa 1938. Numerous slot machines and other gaming machines are visible in the pile, and the crowd includes law enforcement officers.
Photograph of District Court Judge G. A. Roberds on the steps of the Johnson County Courthouse circa 1937. Roberds wears a dark three-piece suit and holds his hat and a package. A man and woman walk up the stairs behind him toward the courthouse door.
Photograph of downtown Olathe, Kansas, as seen from the Johnson County courthouse in 1938. The square is covered in snow and trees have no leaves. One- and two-story commercial buildings line surrounding streets, with automobiles parked around the square perimeter.
Photograph of Jennings Mill in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1938. Located at Robinson Street and Santa Fe Drive, the broad-roofed building bears signs advertising coal, animal feed, and paint. A pickup truck and automobile are parked in front. The pictured building was destroyed by fire on October 3, 1943, and was later rebuilt at 80th and Foster Streets.
Photograph of Dr. Charles E. Rhoades, dentist, holding a young boy in his Overland Park dental office circa 1939. Dr. Rhoades stands next to an exam chair and a dark cabinet with numerous small drawers. Framed pictures and a certificate hang on the walls. The office was located on the second floor of the commercial building at 7500 West 80th Street.
Photograph of bottles and packages of confiscated liquor outside of the Johnson County Courthouse circa 1938. Law enforcement officers look over the confiscated materials. A caption included with the original image reads "Sheriff E. B. Pitt and Bob Grigsby Examining Liquor Found in One Car on 10 Hi-Way."