Shields, Montie

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4

South Kansas Avenue

Photograph of South Kansas Avenue in Olathe, Kansas in the early 1900s. A Cities Service filling station is pictured on the right side of the image, and a Greer Super Service station is on the left side. Two houses stand in the middle. A handwritten note labels one as "Bert Gilbert house."

Patrons Fire and Tornado Association

Photograph of the Patrons Fire & Tornado Association building at 125 South Cherry Street in Olathe, circa 1940. The stone building features an arched roof line bearing the name of the company, and the year 1912, marking its construction, is marked under the arch. Two men, identified as inspectors B. M. Ottaway and Floyd B. Reynolds, stand in front of the building next to two parked vehicles. The vehicles have ladders mounted on their roofs and have "Patrons Insurance Olathe, Kansas" and "Loss Prevention Service 'For Grangers'" painted on their sides. 

Edgerton Women's Softball Team

Photograph of a a women's softball team in Edgerton, Kansas, circa 1935. Ten of the eleven women wear uniforms consisting of dark, knee-length bloomers, stockings, and boots, white blouses, and caps reading "RED STAR." Two women in the front row also hold baseball bats. Chicken wire fencing and bleachers are visible in the background of the image. 

Confiscated Liquor

Photograph of a crowd gathered around seized gambling equipment at the Johnson County Courthouse square circa 1938. Numerous slot machines and other gaming machines are visible in the pile, and the crowd includes law enforcement officers.