Shawnee Indian Mission

Displaying 1 - 12 of 15

Worker at Shawnee Indian Mission

Photograph of a man working on renovations at the north building, at the northeast corner of 53rd Street and Reinhardt Drive, at the Shawnee Indian Mission in 1940. The man, dressed in overalls and a hat, scrapes at a wood door with a putty knife, and is surrounded by lath walls. 

Shawnee Indian Mission Sign

Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855.

Shawnee Indian Mission Renovation - North Building

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible, and brick walls partially deconstructed. A worker can be seen inside the foreground wall. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Shawnee Indian Mission Renovation - North Building

Photograph of the exterior of the Shawnee Indian Mission north building under major reconstruction, with the building's stone foundation visible. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.

Shawnee Indian Mission Monument Dedication

Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Thomas Johnson later relocated the mission to Johnson County. Unidentified men and women are pictured near a tent and American flag.

Shawnee Indian Mission Monument Dedication

Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Julia Stinson, a Shawnee descendent born in 1934 a half-mile east of the site, is being blessed by Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix on the right and Bishop William O. Shepard on the left. Mrs. Stinson helped to confirm the mission site, and delivered a speech at the dedication. Thomas Johnson later relocated the mission to Johnson County.

Shawnee Indian Mission Monument Dedication

Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Miss Sue Wornall, the great-great-granddaughter of mission founder Thomas Johnson, poses in front of the monument itself, with Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix at the left of the image and Judge Nelson Case at the right. The text of the marker reads "This monument marks the site of the mission house erected for the benefit of the Shawnee Indians by Reverend Thomas Johnson, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1830.

Shawnee Indian Mission Cemetery

Photograph of the Shawnee Indian Mission cemetery circa 1935. The cemetery, surrounded by a stone wall, includes more than a dozen small head stones, several taller monuments, and flowers are planted at several grave sites. Reverend Thomas Johnson and his family are buried in the mission cemetery. 

Shawnee Indian Mission - West Building

Photograph of the west building on the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1940. The two-story brick building is covered in ivy prior to restoration. The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968. 

Shawnee Indian Mission

Photograph of Shawnee Indian Mission buildings, looking north toward 53rd Street, circa 1920. The two-story, L-shaped brick building in foreground is the caretakers house, and the two-story brick North Building stands in the background, across 53rd Street. 

Shawnee Indian Mission

The restored dormitory building of the Shawnee Indian Mission. This building is located at the northeastern corner of 52nd Street and Porter Road (now 53rd Street and Mission Road). This vantage point faces north on present day 53rd Street from just east of Mission Road.

Shawnee Indian Mission

The restored residence of the missionary at the Shawnee Indian Mission. This building is located at the southeastern corner of 52nd Street and Porter Road (now 53rd Street and Mission Road). This vantage point faces southeast on present day 53rd Street from just east of mission Road.