Plaza

Displaying 1 - 12 of 103

J.C. Nichols and the Country Club District: Suburban Aesthetics and Property Values

Kansas City, like other American cities, added new suburban-style developments at its edges during the early decades of the 20th century. What makes it a unique case for understanding this shift is the character of Jesse Clyde (J.C.) Nichols. Born in Olathe, Kansas, in 1880, Nichols had a career that spanned the first half of the 20th century, and included transforming thousands of acres of land into a planned suburban community.

Women at the Country Club Plaza Fiesta

An autochrome photograph of women sitting by a fountain in the Country Club Plaza. She is dressed in a sombrero and other appropriately-themed clothing for the Country Club Plaza Fiesta.

Wolferman's Grocery Store

Interior of Wolferman's Grocery Store at 47th Street and Wyandotte Street in the Country Club Plaza, female shoppers are shown browsing a sweets display.

White Eagle Filling Station

Exterior view of the White Eagle Oil and Refining Company Filling Station at 46th Terrace and Mill Creek Parkway (now J C Nichols Parkway). A black automobile and one driver are outside the filling station. This picture was taken looking northwest on Mill Creek Parkway just south of 46th Terrace.

Ward Parkway Parking Garage

This picture of the Country Club Plaza Ward Parkway parking garage was taken looking west-northwest on Ward Parkway just west of Broadway Boulevard.

Voting in 19th Precinct of the 7th Ward During 1936 Election

Clipping entitled "Workers and Voters" from the Kansas City Journal-Post on November 3, 1936 showing Kansas Citians voting at various polling locations on General Election Day. The caption states, "Above is an early morning scene in Tuesday’s election at the voting place of the nineteenth precinct of the Seventh ward, showing challengers, voters, judges and clerks. The voting place is in the Bartleston apartments, 410 West Forty-seventh street."

Triangle Building on 47th Street between Wyandotte and Central Streets

This photograph of the Triangle Building was taken looking north on 47th Street between Wyandotte and Central Streets. The second unit had just been completed with the Wymore Hardware Company as the first tenant in the west end of the building.

Trash Collection Services

A trash collection truck provided by the Country Club District Homes Associations, parked outside of George H. Welsh Motors at 420 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Missouri. This vantage point faces north on Ward Parkway between Broadway Boulevard and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Tower Building and Wolferman Building at 47th Street and Wyandotte Street

This picture of the Tower Building and Wolferman Building was taken looking north-east at the intersection of 47th Street and Wyandotte Street.

The Endowment of Saint Luke's Hospital

Booklet describing the services rendered at St. Luke's Hospital, located at 44th Street and Mill Creek Parkway [presently J C Nichols Parkway] in Kansas City, Missouri. Also included are photographs of the interior and exterior of the hospital, resolutions of the hospital's endowment fund, and appeals for donations to the endowment.

The Avon Shop

The Avon Shop opened October 1, 1924 at 108 W. 47th Street on the first floor of the Tower Building. This vantage point faces north on 47th Street just west of Mill Creek Parkway (now J C Nichols Parkway).

Suydam Building at 47th Street and Mill Creek Parkway

This picture of the Suydam Building was taken in the Country Club Plaza looking north-northwest at the intersection of Mill Creek Parkway (now J C Nichols Parkway) and 47th Street. The Suydam Building was later occupied by the House of Beauty and the Claude Keyes Drug Store. Gas station also pictured.