Shawnee Indian Mission Monument Dedication

Download All
KHS-447254-0002-001.jpg 1.72 MB
Description

Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Miss Sue Wornall, the great-great-granddaughter of mission founder Thomas Johnson, poses in front of the monument itself, with Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix at the left of the image and Judge Nelson Case at the right. The text of the marker reads "This monument marks the site of the mission house erected for the benefit of the Shawnee Indians by Reverend Thomas Johnson, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1830. The mission was removed to the site southwest of Westport, Missouri, in 1939. Methodism in Kansas began on this spot. Erected by the Kansas Methodist Historical Society, 1916." The later location of the mission was in Johnson County, Kansas.

Genre
Date Created
1917-06-26
Modern Location
Kansas City, KS
Neighborhood
Owning Organization
Collection Title, Call or Box Number
FK2.W7 K.64 *2, *4, *8
Rights Statement

Publication, commercial use, or reproduction of this image or the accompanying data requires prior written permission from the Kansas Historical Society. Use of this image also requires that credit be given to the Kansas Historical Society.

Digital Object Identifier
KHS-447254-0002