Shawnee Indian Mission Monument Dedication
Photograph of the dedication of a monument at the site of the first Shawnee Indian Mission, located near the former town of Turner in Kansas City, Kansas. Julia Stinson, a Shawnee descendent born in 1934 a half-mile east of the site, is being blessed by Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix on the right and Bishop William O. Shepard on the left. Mrs. Stinson helped to confirm the mission site, and delivered a speech at the dedication. Thomas Johnson later relocated the mission to Johnson County.