Municipal Airport at night with a crowd gathered outside the main terminal building and a Ford Tri-Motor airplane on the runway. The aircraft was operated by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) in 1930. Municipal Airport (known currently as Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport) is located on the opposite side of the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers.
Photograph of Eleanor Beach, daughter of Kansas City Mayor Albert I. Beach, christening "The Kansas City", a Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) Ford Tri-Motor airplane, by pouring water from the Missouri River upon the propeller at Municipal Airport. TAT merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) the following year.
Photograph of one Fokker F.32 airplane (left) and three Ford Tri-Motor airplanes (right) displayed for a large crowd of several thousand at Municipal Airport, April 4, 1930. This F.32, NC334N, was one of two owned by Western Air Express, and shows "Fox Flying House Party, Western Air Express, New York to Hollywood" on the fuselage. Mary McElroy among others left on this 32-passenger airplane the next day. The Ford Tri-Motor airplanes were owned by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) that year.
Photograph of the DC-1-109 airplane, R223Y, owned by Transcontinental & Western Air parked by the hanger at the Municipal Airport. This airplane was the prototype for the Douglas DC-2. The fuselage shows "Transcontinental Record, Los Angeles - New York, 11 HR. 5 MIN. Apr. 30, 1935."
Clipping entitled "Group, Held in McElroy Kidnaping, Makes Bedraggled Return" in Kansas City Journal-Post on June 3, 1933 showing the kidnappers of Mary McElroy that escaped to Amarillo, Texas before being caught. The caption states, "The group arrested in Amarillo, Tex., in connection with the McElroy kidnaping appeared anything but happy when they got out of the plan at municipal airport. Left to right they are Walter H. McGee, leader of the gang; Mrs. Wendell Johnson, Wendell Johnson, Mrs. L. R. Gilbert and L. R. Gilbert. All were dressed in new clothes.
Photograph of a Lockheed Orion 9E airplane, NC12283, and a Northrop Alpha 4A airplane, NC933Y, at Municipal Airport in winter. Both aircraft were owned by Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA). This photograph was taken between May 1932 - July 1935. This vantage point faces south-southeast with the Power and Light Building (left-center, far background) and Quality Hill (right-center, far background).