Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression

East

Displaying 1 - 12 of 74
Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1930 photograph with frontal and side view of City Ice Company of Kansas City, Plant No. 3, Sheffield, built in 1912 and remodeled in 1927-28. It was located at 7401 Independence Road (now the south side of Wilson Road just east of Blue River).

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1920 photograph with frontal view of the first Saint Francis Seraph Catholic Church (right) and the parochial school (left). It was located at the northeast corner of Martin Avenue and Wyman Avenue (currently Agnes Avenue) in the East Bottoms. This building was replaced in 1923 for a newer structure with a Lombardy Romanesque style.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1925 photograph with full view of the second Saint Francis Seraph Catholic Church, located at the northeast corner of Martin Avenue and Wyman Avenue (currently Agnes Avenue) in the East Bottoms. The church was constructed in 1924 in a Lombardy Romanesque style.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1925 photograph of Budd Park Christian Church located at southwest corner of St. John Avenue and Brighton Avenue.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1925 photograph of the Van Brunt Christian Church. This vantage point faces east from the west side of Van Brunt Boulevard between 24th Street and 25th Street. Albert Jones is listed as pastor on the sign attached to the building.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1925 photograph of the Church of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church located at at the northeast corner of 8th Street and Benton Boulevard. Rev. H. Dierks is listed as the pastor and associated with the Missouri Synod. Addition visible behind the church building. This vantage point faces east-northeast from the Benton Boulevard just north of 8th Street.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Circa 1925 photograph of St. John's Episcopal Church in winter. This vantage point faces east from the west side of Kensington Avenue between Thompson Avenue and Independence Avenue. Pictured are automobiles on the street and people on church walk.

Object Type: 
Postcards

Postcard including an image of the Children's Memorial Lutheran Church at the southeast corner of Independence Avenue and Brighton Avenue. The form correspondence reads, "We missed you Sunday, __. If you are sick kindly let us know. Unless we hear from you we will expect you present next Sunday. Our Motto: Every scholar present every Sunday and on time, 9:30 a.m." The postcard was used to remind the congregation to attend bible school. The vantage point of the photograph faces east-southeast from near the southwest corner of Brighton and Independence.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of children and adults posed outside of the Willard Mission, once located at 7032 Independence Road (renamed Wilson Avenue), between the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the defunct intersection of Wilson Road and Bristol Avenue. Insert photograph is identified as Supt. Mrs. S. E. Pendergass. The mission was operated by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and was razed by 1925.

Object Type: 
Clippings
Maps

Clipping from the Kansas City Journal on February 28, 1925 depicting the area surrounding the intersection of 15th Street (now Truman Road) and Crystal Avenue where illegal liquors were allegedly unloaded for distribution. The caption states, "The map shows the tracks of the Frisco and Missouri Pacific railroads in the Centropolis district where most of the fine liquors received by the Kansas City liquor ring are said to have been unloaded.

Poster Image: 
Object Type: 
Motion Pictures

Reproduction from a circa 1931 35mm film reel of Ford Motor Company's twenty millionth automobile in Kansas City, Missouri. The montage includes footage of Liberty Memorial, Union Station, and the Ford Assembly Plant at 1025 Winchester Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri.

Object Type: 
Maps

Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the fourteenth ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is largely bounded by 23rd Street to the north, Indiana Avenue to the east, 35th Street to the south, and sections east of Blue River bounded by the eastern city limits to the east.

Pages