Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression
Displaying 1 - 20 of 66

This picture of John S. Watkins at the Brookside Shopping District was taken looking northeast at the intersection of Brookside Boulevard and 63rd Street.

Date: 
1920

Interior of Brookside Hall, Miss Helen Thomes' dance class in session. This vantage point faces north-northeast inside of Brookside Hall at the northeast corner of 63rd Street and Brookside Boulevard.

Date: 
1920

Female instructor and six young girls attending a Kansas City Conservatory of Music class in 1920. Brookside Hall was located on the second story of the Brookside Building at the northeast corner of 63rd Street and Brookside Boulevard.

Date: 
1920

New location of the Country Club District Community Golf Links, with Mr. Frank B. Beecher as President. The lodge moved to a new location, and the course enlarged to permit taking in an additional sevety-five members.

Date: 
1920

Long stone bench located in The Piazzetta, a woman with a basket of flowers sits in the center of the bench. The Piazzetta (now called Strawn Park after Farrell Clifford Strawn) is located between 63rd Street, Summit Street, and Valley Road in the Greenway Fields subdivision of Kansas City, Missouri. This vantage point faces southwest towards undeveloped land beyond the southern tip of the park. The bench and accompanying statues pictured have since been moved to the northern edge of the park bordering 63rd Street.

Date: 
1920

Sign for Wornall Manor, looking southwest from the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue, Valley Road, and 62nd Street.

Date: 
April 1920

This picture was taken looking north-northeast at the southern tip of Wornall Manor playground, once located in the interior of block six, between 62nd and 63rd Streets, Valley Road and Summit Streets. Several children are shown playing on playground equipment while adults watch from a distance.

Date: 
1920

Two residents, a man and a woman, of Greenway Fields walk near the Rams' Heads, a decorative motif for a trellis over the sidewalk on Valley Road near 62nd Street. This vantage point faces north-northeast on Valley Road south of 62nd Street.

Date: 
1920

Saturday morning cross country hikes for the boys of the Country Club District, arranged by Miss Louise Hook, Community Secretary.

Date: 
1920

Looking west at 61st Terrace and Summit Street. In the foreground is an automobile, and in the background is a row of houses.

Date: 
June 29th 1920

View shows the south wing of St. Luke's Hospital under construction. This was the first addition to the original building. This picture was taken looking southwest just south of the 4300 block of Mill Creek Parkway (now J C Nichols Parkway). Although the original building pictured still stands, it is now obstructed from view on J C Nichols Parkway by hospital extension to the east.

Date: 
1920

Portrait of Charles W. Armour who in 1899 bought eighty acres land between Wornall Road and State Line Road and from about 65th Street south to about 67th Street.

Date: 
1920

Three men working at a rock quarry with steam shovel at Crestwood Drive and Locust Street.

Date: 
1920

The statue of a small boy and a pool were features of the Crestwood interior park named Happy Woods Park, once located between 54th Street, 55th Street, Locust Street, and Cherry Street. This vantage point faces southeast towards the intersection of Locust Street, 55th Street, and Oak Street in the far right background.

Date: 
1920

Six white columns stand erect in a park at Locust Street and Cherry Street, the structure patterned after the columns on the campus at the University of Missouri. This vantage point faces southeast at the intersection of Locust and Cherry, one block north of 54th Street.

Date: 
1920

Stone archways were built at each of the entrances into the Crestwood area. This vantage point faces northeast at the intersection of Locust Street, 55th Street, and Oak Street.

Date: 
1920

This picture was taken looking west in the Marie Antoinette Shop, once located at 6231 Brookside Boulevard in the Brookside Shopping District.

Date: 
1920

Exterior of the Sunset Hill School. The school possessed a stage, large auditorium, lunch room, and two primary class rooms. The building pictured is now part of the Pembroke Hill School. This vantage point faces west near the southwest corner of 50th Street and Wornall Road.

Date: 
1920

Interior of the Sunset Hill School showing fourteen students with a female teacher conducting class. The building pictured is now part of the Pembroke Hill School at Wornall Road and 51st Street.

Date: 
1920

Interior of Chandler's Flower Shop facing north, a man and woman are browsing the store's floral arrangements. The building pictured was once located at the southwestern corner of 47th Street and Mill Creek Parkway (now Baltimore Avenue).

Date: 
1920

Pages