Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14

Letter from Cecil F. Holman to Governor Lloyd Stark, writing that he and his family didn't vote for Stark in 1936 due to his Pendergast support, but wish to make up for that by working for the election of Judge James Douglas to the Missouri Supreme Court. He also provides information about Kansas City Democratic leaders including Colonel Frederick Whitten.

Date: 
July 13th 1938

Letter from J. William Smith to Governor Lloyd C. Stark concerning the inadequacy of police protection in past Kansas City elections and other political and economic problems in the city. He also writes that he "would like to add ... that this is the most Wide 'open' town I was ever in."

Date: 
March 3rd 1938

Photograph of several Holy Cross Catholic Church choir members and friends resting by the railroad en route to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of several Holy Cross Catholic Church choir members and friends posed in a pipe en route to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of John Mullen and Marie Flahive posed holding hands on a railroad track in the East Bottoms of Kansas City, Missouri. The picture was taken during a hike to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike for several members of the Holy Cross Catholic Church choir and friends in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of several Holy Cross Catholic Church choir members and friends posed at the Missouri Pacific Railroad bridge over Blue River en route to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of several Holy Cross Catholic Church choir members and friends posed near the Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of the Blue River north of St. John Avenue. The picture was taken looking northeast towards the Missouri Pacific Railroad bridge during a hike to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike for several members of the Holy Cross Catholic Church choir and friends in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Photograph of the Norris Grain Company Grain Elevator at the northeast corner of Gardner Avenue and Topping Avenue in the East Bottoms of Kansas City, Missouri. The picture was taken looking north during a hike to Jesse James Cave on the Missouri River bluff near Sugar Creek, Missouri. Boy Scout Troop 80 Scoutmaster Bruno Nicoli directed the hike for several members of the Holy Cross Catholic Church choir and friends in the afternoon after church that Sunday.

Date: 
December 5th 1920

Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the sixteenth ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is bounded by the Missouri River to the north, Monroe Avenue to the west, 9th Street to the south, and eastern city limits to the east.

Date: 
1918

Map showing the boundaries of precincts as defined in 1918 for the seventh ward of Kansas City, Missouri. This ward is bounded by the Missouri River to the north, Lydia Avenue to the west, 9th Street to the south, and Monroe Avenue to the east.

Date: 
1918

Photograph of the Electric Cafe on the south side of Rochester Avenue and east of Montgall Avenue. The Heim, Ferd., Brewing Company Bottling Plant (closed 1918, later became Abner-Hood Chemical Company) is shown in the background to the south.

Circa 1920 photograph with frontal view of the first Saint Francis Seraph Catholic Church (right) and the parochial school (left). It was located at the northeast corner of Martin Avenue and Wyman Avenue (currently Agnes Avenue) in the East Bottoms. This building was replaced in 1923 for a newer structure with a Lombardy Romanesque style.

Circa 1925 photograph with full view of the second Saint Francis Seraph Catholic Church, located at the northeast corner of Martin Avenue and Wyman Avenue (currently Agnes Avenue) in the East Bottoms. The church was constructed in 1924 in a Lombardy Romanesque style.