Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression

Search

Displaying 1 - 20 of 35

Armour-Swift-Burlington Bridge, with the Mark Twain and the General Ashburn, stern wheelers, carrying Patrick J. Hurley, Secretary of War, and his party on a trip to demonstrate the navigability of the Missouri River. This vantage point faces east towards the bridge and the south bank of the Missouri River.

Date: 
June 27th 1932

Interior of speakeasy/nightclub Dante's Inferno, once located at 1104 Independence Avenue. This photograph was taken circa 1934 by Kaufman Photo Studio, Kansas City, Missouri. Source: Ida Minturn.

Menu cover, ca. 1934, of speakeasy/nightclub Dante's Inferno, once located at 1104 Independence Avenue. Dante, nude women, and snakes are depicted as part of the nightclub's logo. Source: Ida Minturn.

The Half and Half entertainer, half man and half woman, posed for full-length portrait at Dante's Inferno in Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Half-and-Half would regularly perform there as a singer, comedian, and impersonator, ca. 1935. Source: Ida Minturn.

Date: 
1935

Photograph of a nativity at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church.

Date: 
December 29th 1940

1940's photograph of small homes in Columbus Park at the base of the Missouri River bluffs.

Photograph of Columbus Park community volunteers constructing the St. John Bosco Center, Roman Catholic community hall. The land for the center was donated by Rosa Nigro, Kansas City's first woman pharmacist. This vantage point was taken facing east-northeast with the Holy Rosary Catholic Church (left) and Holy Rosary School (right).

Date: 
1940

1940's photograph of the St. John Bosco Center at the southwest corner of Missouri Avenue and Campbell Street.

Photograph of the Holy Rosary Youths' Council and Boy Scout Troop 70. This vantage point faces east-northeast towards the entrance to the Holy Rosary Health Center and School.

Date: 
May 14th 1939

Photograph of Columbus Park community volunteers constructing the St. John Bosco Center, Roman Catholic community hall. The land for the center was donated by Rosa Nigro, Kansas City's first woman pharmacist. This vantage point was taken facing east-northeast with the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in the background.

Date: 
1940

1940's photograph of the Holy Rosary School after the new front addition to the old building. This vantage point faces east on Campbell Street from just south of Missouri Avenue.

Photograph of members of the Society of Saint Angelo de Licata. Most members were from Licata, Sicily and worshipped at Holy Rosary parish.

Date: 
1929

1940's photograph of homes in Columbus Park at the northwest corner of 4th Street (Linden Avenue) and Forest Avenue. 4th Street is shown receding into the left background.

1940's photograph of the Holy Rosary parish with the parochial school to the right and St. John Bosco Center to the far right. This vantage point faces east on Missouri Avenue between Campbell Street and Charlotte Street.

Photograph of Columbus Park looking northeast from atop the Karnes Public School at the southwest corner of Charlotte Street and Pacific Street. Pictured are the St. John Bosco Center (center background) and Holy Rosary Church (right background) with the parochial school to the right.

Date: 
1940

1940's photograph of the Holy Rosary Church (left) and the parochial school (right). This vantage point faces southeast from the northwest corner of Campbell Street and Missouri Avenue.

Letter from the priests of the Holy Rosary Church to Edwin V. O'Hara, Bishop of Kansas City. The priests express concern that affixing boundary lines to Kansas City parishes would be a detriment to the future of the Holy Rosary Church in Columbus Park. They explain that many Italian families living outside of the neighborhood far prefer Holy Rosary as this parish provides spiritual welfare for those most comfortable speaking Italian.

Date: 
July 2nd 1940

Photograph of the Holy Rosary Catholic School Parent-Teacher Association meeting in April, 1940. Present are local clergy, parents, and students posed around a donation box. Written on the blackboards are lists of students who are "Go Getters", "Chumps", "Ramblers", "Hot Shots", "Stouges", and "Scatter Brain". Other buildings in Columbus Park can be seen through the windows in the background.

Date: 
April 1940

1940's photograph of Columbus Park looking east with an unpaved Harrison Street between 3rd Street and 4th Street in the foreground and the intersection of Gillis Street and 4th Street in the center background. The four-story building to the right in the far background was located at 1050 East 5th Street.

Photograph of members of the Italian Supreme Intersocial Council of Kansas City. It consisted of members of several lodges and societies for the purpose of mutual aid to lodge and society members and the poor of the Holy Rosary parish. Seated first from left: Joe DiMaria; seated third from right: Tony Bivona; back row, fourth from left: Vito Monaco; in front: Victor Francis DeMaria.

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY
Civil War on the Western Border: The Missouri-Kansas Conflict,1855-1865.
The Pendergast Years, Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression.
KC History, Missouri Valley Special Collections at the Kansas City Public Library.