Kansas City in the Jazz Age & Great Depression

Anderson Photo Company

Displaying 1 - 12 of 108
Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of Ann Avenue at N. 6th Street looking west to N. 7th Street. The caption reads: "Oklahoma Natural Rock Asphalt Street, Kansas City, Kansas. 2" Rock Asphalt Top on Old Macadam. Laid 1924, Photo 1929." The Scottish Rite Temple at the northeast corner of Ann Avenue and N. 7th Street is shown in the right background.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of a crowd assembled for a Labor Day parade at the corner of 16th Street and Cherry Street in Kansas City, Missouri. This vantage point faces east-southeast from the northwest corner of 16th and Cherry with the Fred Hacker Plumbing and Heating Building in the left background at 617 East 16th Street. Advertisements for Colonial Overall Co., Columbia Wiping Cloth Co., and Westport Laundry & Dry Cleaning are displayed.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of Kansas City Fire Department Number 15, Kansas City, Missouri, opened in 1925. Pictured are Captain Eugene King, Driver Herman Lewis, and firefighters George P. Smith, Clarence Hill, and Joseph D. Johnson. This vantage point faces northeast on Mulberry Street between 8th and 9th Street. A defunct viaduct is shown at the top left. This structure was used as an approach ramp to a viaduct that ran overtop the fire station.

Object Type: 
Clippings
Photographs

Photograph with caption stating, "Kansas City's Councilmen, the city manager and the mayor, pose for a cameraman. Those in the rear row, left to right - C. Jasper Bell, Ira B. Burns, A. N. Gossett, Charles H. Clark, Clarence A. Burton, H. L. McCune and David B. Childs. Front row - H. F. McElroy, city manager, Albert I. Beach, mayor, and George L. Goldman. -Anderson Photo Co. Photo."

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of Kansas City Mayor John B. Gage, who served from 1940 to 1946, with members of the City Council.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of one Fokker F.32 airplane (left) and three Ford Tri-Motor airplanes (right) displayed for a large crowd of several thousand at Municipal Airport, April 4, 1930. This F.32, NC334N, was one of two owned by Western Air Express, and shows "Fox Flying House Party, Western Air Express, New York to Hollywood" on the fuselage. Mary McElroy among others left on this 32-passenger airplane the next day. The Ford Tri-Motor airplanes were owned by Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) - Maddux Air Lines, which merged with Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA) that year.

Object Type: 
Clippings
Photographs

Clipping from the Kansas City Journal-Post on November 12, 1930 showing Thomas B. Bash, Dr. J. C. Johnson, W. O. Beeman, and Frank C. Beck at the Blue Springs farm of Dr. Johnson.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of a group of boys accompanied by adults near Camp Bo-Ho-Ca, located on the east side of Blue River Road near 121st Street. The camp, named for the first two letters in each word of "Boys Hotel Camp", was a boarding school to young orphaned boys ages 9-14 before joining older boys at the Boys Hotel at 1601 Admiral Boulevard in Kansas City, Missouri. The camp was later leased to the Boy Scouts of America.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of a boy receiving a medical examination at the Boys Hotel at the southeast corner of Admiral Boulevard and Flora Avenue.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of boys reading books and newspapers in the lobby of the Boys Hotel at the southeast corner of Admiral Boulevard and Flora Avenue.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph of 26 boys attending a health class in the library of the Boys Hotel at the southeast corner of Admiral Boulevard and Flora Avenue.

Object Type: 
Photographs

Photograph entitled "Inspection", showing boys lined up in the playground behind the Boys Hotel. This vantage point faces northeast with the Boys Hotel on the left at the southeast corner of Admiral Boulevard and Flora Avenue.

Pages